Prep Time: 930 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Total time: 960 mins
Course: Breakfast | Servings: 4
Difficulty level: Easy-Medium
Ingredients for the batter:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup Horse Gram Dal (Kulith/Gahat)
- 1 tsp fenugreek Seeds (Methi seeds)
- Oil, for frying
- Salt, to taste
Ingredients for the potato stuffing:
- 2 medium sized potato (aloo), boiled and cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 cup coriander (dhania) Leaves , chopped for garnish
- 1 tsp oil
Soak cleaned and washed rice, horse gram, and fenugreek together for 5-6 hours in water.
Grind the rice, horse gram, fenugreek seeds with just a little water into a thick batter. Place the batter in a deep vessel, cover it and allow it ferment for 8-10 hours or overnight.
For preparing masala, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seed, curry leaves and fry the onions and green chilli till onions are soft.
Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, and boiled potato cubes. Mash the boiled potato cubes, add salt, and mix all the ingredients well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and keep the aloo masala aside.
For preparing dosa, mix the fermented batter with salt and water if required. Bring it to a smooth and yet spreading consistency.
- Turn the flame on and spread a tsp of oil on a dosa tawa. Pour a cup of batter on the tawa and spread the batter evenly into a circle. Drizzle, oil around the horse gram dosa and cook on medium heat until the dosa is browned and crisp.
Flip the dosa upside down and cook the other side of the dosa. Once done, flip the dosa and add the potato masala stuffing in the centre of the dosa and fold the dosa in half.
Serve horse gram dosa along with coconut chutney and sambar.