Recipe by: Poonam Arora
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total time: 25 mins
Course: Breakfast | Servings: 1
- Ripe Nendran banana, 1
- Sooji: 25-30 grams (2 serving spoons)
- Wheat atta: 10 grams (1 serving spoon)
- Khand (desi sugar): 10 -15 grams (adjust as per taste)
Difficulty level: Easy
- Select a banana that is fully ripe but not overly soft or mushy. The ideal banana for steaming is one that is yellow with some brown speckles on the skin
- Peel the banana: Gently peel the banana, removing the skin completely.
- Allow the banana to steam for approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to prevent over-steaming.
- Allow the steamed banana to cool down, 10 mins approx. Peel, cut in half lengthwise, and remove the black seeds with the help of a knife
- Using a fork, mash the banana pulp until it becomes a smooth paste
- In a mixing bowl, combine sooji, atta, khand and banana paste. Mix thoroughly until well combined
- Heat a cast iron tawa (griddle) on the stovetop over medium heat
- Ladle a portion of the malpua mix on the heated tawa. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture on the tawa to form a circular shape. You can make it as thin or thick as desired.
- Allow the mixture to cook on one side until it starts to firm up and turn golden brown. Flip using a spatula and cook the other side until it is cooked through and evenly browned.
- Serve the steamed banana pancakes warm as a delicious and healthy breakfast or snack.